Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Tri-tip

Well, my love of beef continues this week. On Monday I marinated a tri-tip (partial one) in a mixture of about equal parts soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. I then added a tablespoon+ of honey, some ground pepper, and some garlic power to the liquid. Finally I added a little olive oil and mixed. Oh, and I just added all of these straight to a gallon sized zip top bag. I closed the bag and shook to mix everything. Then I added the steak, squeezed out all of the air, and resealed the bag. I did this is the morning before work and left it in the fridge till that evening. In the evening I removed the bag from the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 30+ minutes to let it return to room temp. Meanwhile I steamed my daily large portion of green beans and cut a slice of toasted onion bread to eat. I then heated my grill pan (I have no yard to bbq in) over medium and sprayed a little oil spray on it (I use to use a paper towel with some oil on it, but the spray is just easier). I then placed the steak into the pan to sear it. I seared on three sides (you can do that with this cut) until there were nice grill marks. When I rotated to the last side I placed the pan into a ~400 degree oven for 12 minutes to finish cooking. Since the steak tappers to one end, that end turned out a nice medium rare. The thicker part was fairly rare in the center, but I prefer that for leftovers. The steak was about 3/4 of a pound and its lasting me three nights.

That's a lot of steak I've had recently. I seem to go in waves. I think next week some time it will be time to venture back to chicken, although fish might be good too. I'm out of town for the weekend so I'm trying to make sure I don't have too many items in the fridge.

Also coming soon: Jambalaya (its been too long without it)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home