Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Oatmeal

Perfect oatmeal ready for you when you awake in the morning. I'll admit, I got the idea for this from Alton Brown's Good Eats. It really does work well, and is a little full proof. I use to not like oatmeal, then a friend cooked me steel cut oats. They are so much nicer, although it had been so long since I had rolled oats, I have no idea if I'm really correct, I just think I am. Alton Brown uses both milk and water, and adds dried fruit and nuts. However I really just like them plain. First you need a crock pot. I have one that I use to use about once a year. Now I use it about once a week. Second you need steel cut oats, also known as irish cut oats. You can find them either in a metal tin, or in the bulk section of your local grocery store (haven't really looks at Safeway, etc, but Whole Foods and such definitely have them). Plug in the crock put and turn it to low. Add one cup of steel cut oats and about 4 1/4 cups of water. I use a four cup pyrex measuring cup and just fill it up a little past 4 cups. Mix together so the oats are relatively distributed across the bottom of the pot and cover. Set a timer for 8 to 9 hours and then go to sleep. I know, its not good to leave kitchen appliances on over night, but that's what smoke detectors are for. Heh. I'm not too worried about it, its not boiling, no moving parts, just make sure its on a stable surface and nothing is touching it. In the morning, wake up, turn off, and unplug the crock pot. Sometimes if they look a little dry, I add up to 1/4 cup of water. Either way stir the oats, and cover again for 5ish minutes. This allows for any oats which have dried and stuck to the bottom edge to rehydrate. Take the spoon and scrape them into the oats (it just adds texture) and mix. Eat 1/4 of them, and let the rest cool partially and place into a plastic storage container and stick in the fridge. For leftovers, use a spoon to cut a 1/3 wedge of the oatmeal and place into a bowl. Microwave for 1:20 and enjoy. You might want to add a little water as it will be a little gummy, but I like it. Soak your crock pot while you are at work and clean it that evening.

Easy Oatmeal (4 servings; minimal prep; keeps well; easy to reheat)
1 cup - steel cut oats
4 1/4 cup - water

Place oats and water into a crock pot set on low. Cook for 8 to 9 hours. Unplug the crock pot and add a little more water if needed. Stir the oats and let them sit for another five minutes. Portion out 1/4 for breakfast, and place the remaining 3/4 into a storage container to cool and then refrigerate for up to 4 to 5 days. On following days place 1/3 of leftover oats into a bowl and microwave for ~1:20. They will probably hold thier wedge shape, so if you find this unappealing add a little water and stir.

Variations:
- Add up to 1/2 cup of milk
- Add up to 2 cups of dried fruit, adding a little more water for the fruit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home